T-shirts come in many different shapes, styles, colors and sizes.
Now that you have done some initial research, it is time to get to work!
Your challenge is to design an eco-friendly T-shirt that promotes an environmental cause. Here are the details:
- Try to create the most eco-friendly T-shirt you can.
- You can create a short-sleeved T-shirt or a long-sleeved T-shirt.
- You can choose from three different materials: organic cotton, hemp and bamboo.
- You will need to identify graphics and text for your T-shirt design.
- You will need to select packaging materials, and labor and manufacturing practices for your T-shirt.
- Your T-shirt must deliver a compelling and scientifically accurate message about the environmental issue you have selected.
Your class will vote on their favorite design—so be creative!
When engineers and designers set about tackling a big challenge like this, they use a set of steps called the engineering design process to guide them. Watch the following videos to learn about the process and approach engineers use to solve problems. Think about what they consider when planning and developing their solutions. How can you apply their process to your challenge?
(from NASA Goddard Space Flight Center)
Click a movie player format on the right to view the video.
> Perfect Fit
(National Defense Education Program: Lab TV)
Pages 8-16 of your Engineering Portfolio contain an expanded version of the engineering design process that engineers use. Complete steps 1-4 on page 8 now, and continue to use your Engineering Portfolio to guide your work as you move forward.